Whether you prefer the Konmari approach of decluttering or hold tight to your keepsakes, the time has never been better to right-size as you transition into your carefree, lock-and-leave lifestyle. We understand your possessions are valuable to you, and that the transition from home-ownership to a maintenance-free, active adult apartment home is a big one. We want to help you enjoy the simplicity of a minimalistic and resort-inspired life at Everleigh—that’s why we’ve curated pro-tips that will provide you with the information you’ll need to begin your next chapter.
The Right Questions
- When should I list my house for sale?
- What is my home worth today?
- Does my current home need sprucing up in order to sell it?
- How do I condense a house full of my belongings into an apartment home?
- What do I do with the rest of my treasured things?
- What are the tax and financial implications?
The Right Decisions
- List all the things you absolutely can live without and are willing to work around—like books, dishes, and art.
- Re-think your decorating style.
- Only keep pieces you absolutely love. Get rid of the rest.
- Enlist your family to help go through the memories.
- Give things to family and friends and donate to nonprofit organizations. Many of them will pick up from you for free.
- Sell things on Craigslist and Ebay, or put things in storage.
- Use every inch of your space. Items that are just for show don’t have a place any more. Things should be either loved so dearly they are a necessity or functional.
- Sentimental pieces are the hardest to give up, so try to find ways to work them in, converting a special armoire intended for the large television—now replaced by a flat screen TV—into some kind of storage, for instance.
The Right Place to Start
- Room by room.
- Day by day.
- Item by item.
- Start with the easy things like clothes that have not been worn in years, dishes that are only used once in a blue moon, furniture that would obviously not fit into your new life.
The Right Reasons
- What is on your “bucket list”? Travel? Relaxing? Adventure? New experiences and new friends?
- You’ve grown impatient with waiting for a plumber or electrician to arrive and fix the latest household woe…
- Or maybe it’s just time to live MORE with LESS stuff...
You’ll find that apartment home living is a practical and low-maintenance alternative to the upkeep of home ownership. With amenities like the ones provided at Everleigh, you’ll be glad you made the choice to enjoy the simple things in life. Let right-sizing guide you as you transition to your exciting new life.